Making a Difference with Children & Youth
Kids Count After School Program
- Kids Count welcomes volunteers for the K-3rd grade after school program helping with homework and supporting the staff with fun activities. Volunteers are needed and can choose Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 4:30-5:45pm or Wednesdays from 3:30-5:00pm.
- Kids Count is implementing a reading tutoring program called Winning Reading Boost. They need volunteers to work in small groups with students as they go through the curriculum. Volunteers are needed and can choose Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 3:30-4:30pm or Wednesdays from 2:30-3:30pm.
- Have a hobby or vocation you would like to share with kids? Come join Kids Count students on a Friday afternoon during their enrichment days to share your interests with the students.
Rawlings Elementary School
The Nest at Howard Bishop Middle School
- There are simple and helpful volunteer opportunities at Howard Bishop Middle School, including giving out healthy snacks to students, serving as a greeter at the front desk, and serving in the student clothing closet. Times available include any one hour block from 9am - 3:30pm Monday - Friday.
- There are also ways to help (like with homework and fun activities) in the after school program from 3:30 - 5pm Monday - Thursday.
Faith Mission Hospitality Team
Have the gift of hospitality?
- Join the Hospitality Team that includes neighborhood residents and members from several churches. This team organizes gatherings of neighborhood families at Faith Mission (e.g. for meals, Game Nights, & Movie nights), organizes meals for other programs and events, and looks for ways to extend hospitality in the neighborhood during special events. Please contact Vickie Leggett (352-301-6302) for more info on serving with this team
Leaders Overcoming through Faith (LOF) Meals
Love to cook? Or organize and have restaurant connections? Or can simply bring a meal from Trinity UMC to Faith Mission?
Faith Mission Childcare Team
Love children and have a desire to bless their caregivers with a break? Did you know up to 65% of families with children are single parent households in our Faith Mission neighborhood?
- Woman to Woman (W2W) needs monthly childcare volunteers to bless Faith Mission community caregivers with an hour “off” so they can enjoy fellowship over lunch. W2W meetings are currently held 3rd Thursday of the month at noon at Faith Mission.
- Want to help out so parents can attend events and special worship services held at Faith Mission? Be part of Faith Mission’s childcare team that provides childcare for special worship services and events. Participate in our childcare orientation and then volunteer for events when ability allows.
Community Building Opportunities
Workshops and Training
Ready to build a deeper understanding of faith-based service with people in poverty? Participate in a workshop! Faith Mission organizes several each year, with each workshop having a different focus.
Cost of Poverty Experience (COPE) is a 3 hour, experiential workshop that puts participants in real-world examples of what it is like to live in a low-income family in our country. COPE is limited to 35 participants and requires 18 volunteers. Many have found this to be a powerful experience – so be on the lookout for the next workshop scheduled in 2018.
Dignity Serves uses Scripture and small group discussions to help us recognize the image of God in each of us, engage the talents of all persons, build lasting relationships, and learn more about Christ-centered missions. The next Dignity Serves workshop is currently being scheduled, stay tuned for updated training schedule.
Woman to Woman (W2W)
Want to be a part of an all-ages, diverse, & caring women’s group?
- Be a part of Woman to Woman, a group of neighborhood residents and Faith Mission volunteers meeting monthly (3rd Thursdays) at noon for lunch, prayer, and wide ranging discussions. Opportunities to serve include organizing a meal, leading a short devotional, getting the word out in the neighborhood about this relational ministry, or simply joining the group each month.
Faith Mission Facility Art
Are you creative? Like to decorate? Or an artist? We have several projects we really need support with to enhance the Faith Mission facility.
- To show the spirit of this ministry we would like to have photos of Faith Mission in action that include captions (e.g. Scripture & quotes) to mount on the walls.
- To both bring more color into the Community Hall and to improve acoustics we would like to have large, decorative panels created, assembled, and mounted on the north wall.